Tag Archives: heritage

HOPE FOR A DECAYING TUDOR BLOCKHOUSE AT GRAVESEND?

Displayed in a fenced area in Royal Pier Road on Gravesend’s riverside are the brick and stone remains of one of a network of five cross-firing artillery blockhouses built by Henry VIII in 1539/40 to guard the river approaches to London.  It is the only one of them visible.  Excavated in 1975/6 it was stabilised and then displayed for the

Read More